When you are over 55 and your current home no longer suits you or your lifestyle, and you are considering a move, the whole process can seem overwhelming. But if you arm yourself with good information and market knowledge beforehand, you are more likely to enjoy the process and make better decisions. I would be happy to partner with you and provide as much information as possible and help guide you through a successful move, exactly like I have helped other folks just like. Here is a “to-do” list to consider as you begin the transition. It is not complete or all-encompassing, but it can help point you in the right direction.
I have experience helping all types of sellers in various stages of life who have different buying and selling needs. I am on my toes, thinking ahead, trying to get you what you want and what you need.
- Speak with a tax consultant and/or a financial adviser to discuss all the implications of a downsize move and to see what you can afford.
- Speak with a Realtor (Jackie Gibbins) to get the current value of your home. I can help you with that, and it is FREE!
- If you need financing, speak with a reputable lender to get pre-qualifed for a loan and to discuss your loan options.
- Do some research of areas and over 55 neighborhoods that may suit you and that you can afford. Try to narrow down a target area so you can plan and budget. This process can take some time and energy, and I would be happy to help with this.
- Decide if you are going to sell or lease your home. Review recent comparables for your home whether leasing or selling.
- Become aware of market trends and “time on the market” for a home like yours if you are going to list your home to sell. This can help with timing your move.
- Whether leasing or selling, you may need to decide what possessions to keep, sell, give away or discard or store. This step can take some time, too, and you may want to enlist the help of friends and/or family.
- If you need help with an estate sale, I have folks I can refer you to.
- If you are selling, you may need to ready your home for sale by making some repairs or a few updates or incorporate some staging to get the best price possible. I am happy to help you evaluate the need for this, and I will also provide a free home staging consultation if needed.
- If you need the proceeds from the sale of your current home to purchase your new home, it is important to get your current home on the market, and better yet to have it under contract or sold before choosing your replacement home. This may seem stressful or feel like you are taking a leap, but in the end, it will be less stressful if you finalize the sale of your current home so you can know exactly what your proceeds will be and when you will get them.
Below are some of the newest listings in the many wonderful Orange County Senior (over 55) Communities.
Even if you aren’t ready to live in a community featuring homes for only those over 55, there are many wonderful neighborhoods that feature single level home options.
Below are some of the newest Single Level Home listings in Orange County.